Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Introduction!

Over the past nearly two years, I have been enjoying blogging about my other hobbies, even if I don't update all of them very often. I started with Cardboard History, then added in Scale Modeling History, Die Cast History, and Action Figure History.

But my earliest hobby was not getting any coverage, and I needed to change that....so...welcome to Comic Book History!

Reading comics was my very first hobby. My brother read me my first when I was 5 days old, and now, more than 30 years later, I've NEVER stopped! In fact, I credit reading comics so often- or having them read to me when I was young- for giving me my large lexicon, my love of science and history, and most importantly- of reading. And, also, of my ending most sentences with exclamation points!

In the early days I just read random books, but I have been reading series sequentially since 1992. The first actual series was G.I. Joe, and a lot of early posts will be about GI Joe because I have them scanned completely or darn close to it. After that came the 1980s Justice League, and third was almost surely Teen Titans...but anything after that the order has been lost to history.

We are a DC family, and I'm currently in the middle of an almost 10 year long project of reading every DC continuity comic from 1975-2011 in chronological order of release. I wish I had kept track of how many comics were in this project, but it's a lot of them. I won't be covering much of this project on here- it's almost done and the comics I'm reading are not actually mine, so I am not going to scan them, But I will talk about it some in the future, especially as I'm within a few months of completing the project.

When I finish that project, THAT will be when this blog really starts to shine. I will be getting my collection out and reading it. All of it! For many of the books, it will be the first time I read them. I was given a collection of more than 500 Marvel comics, and several hundred other comics, and I never read them. I'm going to change that...and I'm going to scan the covers as I go along. I have not had my collection out since 2002, so I really don't even remember a lot of the books I have. I have a chart of what is in my collection, but it's been so long that I have no real recollection of what the books are. I will change that.

I did collect DC- I don't currently collect any DC books, something that seemed impossible to me just a short time ago, but I don't like what they are doing- currently I collect only a handful of comics, which I will show when they arrive, each monthly shipment will result in a post- or maybe a few, I have not yet decided if I want to cover each monthly shipment as one post or give each comic it's own post yet. It's one of the things I've been thinking about before starting this blog, and I couldn't come up with a decision, so I guess I will decide when the first box comes. We don't get a lot of comics anymore so we only get them once a month.

I do have some comics scanned- a few hundred actually, the majority of them are either my GI Joe collection, which I consider complete (every book, but not every variant cover) or the new comics that have shown up since I decided to scan them all. That was in 2014 but I went back and scanned some newer additions to the collection as well.

There will be a wide variety of comics shown. DC is the largest portion of my collection, but it's not all I have by any means. You will see comics from more than 2 dozen companies...eventually!

By the way, the first comic I had read to me, I don't actually have a copy of it in my collection. The first one was DC Special #29, which featured the origin of the JSA. The JSA would eventually become my all-time favorite team, but that would not be until many years later when I read the Archives.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more...much more!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Another blog to read, written by an excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete